Thursday, December 18, 2014

Anna's Graduation, by Danielle

Anna has been my best friend for about three years, and now she has graduated. While I graduated back in the spring, I mark this as a bigger celebration because it marks the beginning of our adventures together!

A view of Tuscany from the Duomo Bell Tower
We are planning on leaving to go WWOOFing in Italy, spring of 2015. We also have a rough outline of traveling along the northern Mediterranean coast. While we haven't had much time to plan yet, what we do plan is to grow, discover, love, fight, learn, cry, laugh, run, eat, farm, and much more. I truly can't wait to see what journeys lie ahead of us.

Life with Anna in it has been truly remarkable, and I want everyone (who reads this post anyway) to know how she has affected me in the most wonderful ways. Because I'm not a nuanced writer yet, I will have to resort to a list.

Eleven Things I've Gotten From My Friendship with Anna


Here's a picture to introduce you to Anna, the prettiest sunfish.
1. Civil Responsibility. I am a smarter and more involved citizen. If you read this and find you have apathetic friends, here is a tip: get rid of them. Indifference and apathy are not virtues. I am involved in my community, I never forget to vote, and I know what the heck civic environmentalism is. If you've ever seen Parks and Recreation, Anna Mines is a regular Leslie Knope and I a grateful Ann Perkins.

2. Motivation. I have never seen someone more self-motivated than Anna Farell (or is it like Pharell Williams? I'm embarrassed...) Mines. She is constantly using her free time to better herself, to create and to learn. I want to work for a better me, and I'm glad she encourages me to do that. When I sit on my couch and complain about being out of shape, she doesn't go "yeah that sucks, bro." She suggests we go on a run, or go for a walk, or go do yoga! Again, if you're reading this and you find that you haven't been outside in the past week, find some friends who will take you outside. Find some friends who will motivate you to go live your life to its fullest.

Me with Anna's sign at Rock n' Roll 1/2
3. Support/Athleticism. I ran a half-marathon! I really did! And you know what? She inspired me to do it AND she was there with a sign that said "Go Danielle!" That's right, Anna got up at the ass-crack of dawn to be there for me when I started off the race. I fondly remember making prerun-poop jokes on the bus before we got there. She couldn't stay until the end, but her support meant more to me than I can describe here. I learned that going outside of your comfort zone means finding people who will support you in doing that.

4. Spontaneity. Life just isn't the same without spontaneity. Anna has helped me see the good can come from opening yourself up to the world! One time, Anna and I ran around Greenlake, but didn't have anything else to do afterwards. We decided to walk up through Phinney Ridge and in to Ballard. We stopped by her old middle school, walked into shops, ate pizza, and talked for hours. By the time we got back it was sun down, and we promised each other we would never forget that day. I promise you, I will never forget that day. Go out and have that day with a loved one.

5. Music. I am a musician, and she has taught me how to be a better one. Mainly, she taught me how to listen. Why had I never thought of that before? Anyway, Anna is ALWAYS in some sort of ensemble. Last year, I promised myself that this year I would be in a band continuously. I recently joined La Banda Gozona and the UW Symphonic Band, and they have enriched my experience as a musician. I can't say that I think I would have done this without her influence. She serves as a constant reminder of how much joy can be had by keeping music as a part of my life. I think I will carry this with me for the rest of my life.

6. Shooting the shit at Chipotle. Anna: Remember that one time Chris Gelon was trying to tell a story, and we just kept cutting him off by laughing? Chipotle, as odd as it seems, has become a center-piece of our relationship. I can't quite articulate how or why, but I'm glad Chipotle has become a part of our shared identity.

7. Food. Speaking of Chipotle, I want to thank Anna for getting me to think about food in a different light. When we first meant, I would hoard and waste food for no good reason. I would never think about what I was eating or where it came from, and now I think this is so important! She sparked my passion for food, food privilege, and food security. It is something I hope to study in graduate school, and it feels like somehow she led me here. 

8. Creativity. I think we all remember "Straight Lines." (Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jI1RivL7Qzw) I don't think I would've ever gotten involved in that on my own, but Anna pushed me. She's always instigated doing covers, including this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=daEafrYjLbU It's fun to have something to look back on, and it's fun to create. If you're reading this, go create something with your friends. I promise, you won't regret it. 


9. Humor. Anna is probably the funniest person I know. If you disagree then SHUT YOUR DIRTY FUCKING MOUTH. I WILL ARREST YOU, THROW YOU INTO THE WOODS, AND FORCE YOU TO DANCE LIKE KEVIN BACON UNTIL YOU COME TO YOUR SENSES. 

10. Companionship. I will never forget our many sleepovers, dinners, runs, walks, talks, movie nights, creative nights, and homework nights (LOL, who are we kidding about that last one). Anna is someone with whom I can recharge my batteries, lament my sorrows, celebrate my victories, and quaff deeply. She is my confidant, wingman, caretaker, and best friend.

11. Friendship. You know what one of my favorite parts of our relationship is? When Anna comes to me and tells me about something I did that hurt her or that she didn't like. I don't like that I hurt her, but I like that she feels she can come to me. I like that we can talk about our problems and our faults in both serious and jovial manners. This type of balance is incredibly difficult to come by, and I am so fortunate to have it now. 

Here's to our wonderful times together as undergraduate students, and to many more together traveling and otherwise. Anna, I love you so much. Thank you for letting me make eye contact with you while I fart.



No comments:

Post a Comment